CIT Students' Union
- Your apartment/house should be fitted with a working smoke detector already. If not ask your landlord to fit them, and test them regularly to make sure that they are working.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or a fire blanket in the kitchen. Again you can ask your landlord to supply these.
- Make sure all electrical appliances, sockets and leads are in good working order.
- Do not overload sockets.
- Do not use a chip pan, they're too dangerous.
- Check that the cooker/hob is off and always put out an open fire before you go to bed.
- With an open fire, always use a fireguard and ensure that the room is well ventilated.
- Plug out all appliances (Especially the TV and hair straighteners) before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Smokers - use proper ashtrays and do not smoke in bed.
- Keep heaters away from furniture and curtains and do not move them when they're turned on. Make sure that there is good ventilation in the rooms where you use them.
- Have an escape plan. Know the best way for you and your housemates to get out if you have to.
- If lighting candles always place them in proper holders. Do not put them near items that can catch fire, never leave them unattended and put out all candles properly before you go to bed.
Take a look at this Fire Safety guide for some fire prevention tips in the home.